Monday, September 15, 2008

100 Days

I can’t believe I’ve been on the road for 100 days so far. Seems like yesterday when I wrote the 50 realizations blog telling you about the soap on the top of the car and the firewood fairies. I’ve written down some gems along the way of what I’ve seen and what I’ve heard which I will share, but for this blog, I will tell you some of my thoughts.
I am tired. My back is sore; my body is out of shape. Glad to get THAT out of the way…now on to more important things.
I am so fortunate for all that I’ve seen and all that I’ve done. Somehow, I still feel that I haven’t done enough. I wanted to write more, I’ve wanted to blog more. I really wanted to write an article about my experience in some magazine or publication. I didn’t get on that, either.
What I HAVE done is observed the people and places that surround me. If you pay attention, you will see some amazing things in your own town. When I don’t feel like eating at camp, I usually drive around to find a few cars outside of a restaurant and then it’s “party of one at the bar.” I learned about a retired couple in Montana that make ends meet by working at a local pizza place, a woman who finally came home to visit with her family after 10 years, a bartender who is sick of seeing wildlife while working in Yellowstone, a retired cowboy who now works as a sushi chef, a Harley rider who toured the USA on his bike, and several stories of average people like me living the American life.
Those are the stories and moments I love. I listen, I learn, I experience.
Some days have been more of a challenge than others. Even though I am headed towards home, this isn’t the end of my journey. There is so much more to explore and experience. I know that we can all get in a rut of seeing the same things in our town. I would challenge you to try something new. Go on a walk in a different neighborhood. Sit at the bar as a “party of one” to eat and chat with the person next to you. There is so much to gain from the experiences of others. It has been at the top of my list of my favorite things to do. I look forward to more life stories through strangers.
Now off to enjoy the Cape of Disappointment in Washington. Yes, that’s the real name. I will blog about the next 50 realizations soon! Thank you for following my journey, my little “readervillage”.