Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What You Get When You Ignore The Pain

I have a love hate relationship with my teeth. I love that I am able to eat and enjoy food, but I am not too happy with the way they look. I look at all of the perfect teeth on celebrities and think, "I wish I had teeth like that!" Sigh...

Most people don't like going to the dentist. I dread going. I have a high tolerance for pain so usually I will wait for the tooth ache to go away. This time, waiting wasn't in the cards.

I've had a toothache for about a week. I worked out, ate, and did my normal routine with the pain. Well, my body didn't like the fact that I ignored it. I woke up to the most excruciating pain and part of my face looked like I was storing food for later. I had no control over half of it. See below:


When I normally look like this (and when I say "normal", that means I ALWAYS look like I am at the beach in Miami in the summer):
So, off I go to the dentist to get an xray and some pain meds...not too happy about it...LOL, now this pic is just pathetic! Very Flattering...
This wasn't the best day of my life. I couldn't believe how much pain I was in. After listening to my Dr. scold me on when she first diagnosed the problem 5 years ago, I just heard "blah, blah, blah" then "pain killers!" Ahh, yes..it will be over soon. Ugh, not so fast. I took the max amount I could take of pain killers and other prescribed meds when the pain wouldn't let up. So, perhaps a tequila shot would do? Isn't that what they did in the olden days? That's what we watched in westerns, right? Needless to say, I poured a shot and put it next to me...just in case. Well, it's still there. So, I just stuck it out and felt every throb for hours. At least I had a bed partner to help me get through the pain:
Well, she listens anyway....so, after thawing all veggies from the fridge on my face, it was time to try and sleep.
I am lucky that my friend Cat chatted with me online until I fell asleep. So, today I have the exciting task of making an appointment to get it "taken care of"...whatever that means. I hope I can save the tooth because it's a tooth that I've already had a root canal on. So we shall see. I am just glad that the pain went away for a while, even though my chipmunk face is still here. Oh yeah, did I mention that I don't have Dental Insurance? Smart girl I am...Sigh.