Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Roller Derby Girls And Cake Pops

It's been a while since I've blogged and for those of you who are stopping by and wondering what's going on, I apoligize.  I've been doing this and that and haven't found the time to stop by here.  Well, here I am again!  Yesterday I was asked to shoot a photograph for an ad for blueberry bakery celebrating the one year anniversary of Moxi roller skate shop in Long Beach.  I love cake and derby girls so of course I was happy to be a part of it!

The vision was to get a couple of derby girls fighting over a cake pop in typical derby style.  Looking oh so tough but so cute at the same time.  I don't know how these women do it.  I used to roller skate around my neighborhood as a kid in my quads and thinking about it now makes me a little nervous.  It's not that I don't want to do something fun, it's just a long way down if a small pebble gets in the way of a long stride.

I am six foot tall so it would make me about six five in skates. A long way down...and oh yeah, I am about to turn 40 with minimal health insurance, so there's that too.

It doesn't keep me from admiring these woman who participate in the sport.  I've been to a few bouts in Long Beach and my photographs are on the Long Beach Roller Derby's website as well as many more on my photograph website.

For today, it was about cake pops and roller skates.  I met these ladies early in the morning and once we got to the shop, it was time to strip down to their skating attire.  As this was happening, a man happened to be standing in the right place at the right time to get a glimpse of two women stripping in the middle of the street.  I'm sure as he stood there, he had no idea about what was about to happen.  From the look on his face, I think it might have been his lucky day.

Thank you ladies for being such great models!  I look forward to the next bout!