Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Olvera Street and Union Station

I have lived in Southern California most of my life and have to admit that I've never taken the journey to explore Olvera Street or Union Station. It was near Halloween so Olvera street was filled with activities, music, tourists and locals celebrating the day of the dead or rather, "Dia de los Muertos".

I spent a few hours wandering around this small block of outdoor islands.  Many children were getting their faces painted or shopping for masks to be a character in "Lucha Libre" even if they didn't really want to as you can see in the photograph below of a frowning boy.  Needless to say, it was entertaining to watch.

After my short stroll through Olvera Street, I headed to Union Station to take a tour.  What a beautiful train station!  There was a wedding going on so I asked the bride and bridesmaids if they wouldn't mind posing for me...they said yes.  It's easy to be entertained there.  All you need to do is take a seat and observe.  You will see many different types of people come in and out of the station.   I also enjoyed watching people who watched other people.  I turned my camera around on one of the chairs to see what the couple was doing behind me.

It was a fun day of exploring the city I live in.  I look forward to visiting more neighborhoods I haven't had the opportunity to tour.  There is so much to see here.  I love all of the personalities Los Angeles has to offer and I look forward to seeing more.