Saturday, February 21, 2009

Part of the Family

I grew up with animals. I had a dog (Taz in picture, Barkley, Ruffles), two cats (Colors and Sunshine), several Koi fish, turtles (pokey, speedy) and my Guinea pig, squeaky. No, I didn't live on a farm.

I can't imagine my life without a pet. Before I took Maggie with me across the country, my dog, Sushi was my companion for 12 years. I even took her to college with me. She would tolerate the chickens I also adopted in college, parties, long road trips, several moves, and my basketball schedule. She was my baby.








One of the most difficult things I have ever had to do was to make the decision to put Sushi down. She had GDV and was in the hospital for 3 days before she made a turn for the worst. I went alone. I said goodbye. I had NO IDEA how hard it would be on me.

Here we are on one of many trips to the coast in my college years.








I have known Andrea and Daisy for 11 years. This picture was one of the first after I adopted Maggie.

Andrea was with me when I finally came to terms with the loss of Sushi and decided that another dog was in my future. Every morning I would stop by the Santa Monica Animal Shelter to look at the dogs. I did this for about a month and one day, there was this small yellow dog leaning up against the chain to greet me. All of the other dogs in the cages were barking and making a scene, but not this one. She just sat there, welcoming my pets through the gate. I decided to take her out of the cage to see how we got along. As the pit bulls and larger dogs yelled at her as she passed, she didn't pay any attention. Wow, perfect! I think this is the one!

I went to work that day and told Andrea about the new dog I saw. We decided to go back at lunch to see if she was still available. She was. I adopted her. Meanwhile, Andrea was taken back by a black lab puppy in another cage. As an attendant came to her to help, she burst in tears. She was thinking of her dog Daisy at home. It's emotional to go to the pound and look at all of the animals asking you to take them home. But this time I did. As we were leaving and filling out all of the paperwork, the woman across the counter slided a piece of paper that said, "Thank you for adopting me. I Love you" Ok, we lost it. Both of us started crying... this needed to stop. We left and composed ourselves.

2 Days ago, Andrea had to say good bye to Daisy. I spent the day with her yesterday. As usual, it's a cry chain reaction with us. Daisy was her baby for 16 years of her life. Sometimes losing a pet can be the hardest to take.


I have come to realize that Maggie was a faker the day I adopted her.

She seemed to get along so well with others. Ummm, not so much. Daisy is about the only dog that puts up with Maggie's bossiness.


Here are pictures of her visit with us last year. Maggie let her sleep in her bed and lie on her chaise.

Rest in peace, Daisy.

We love you and miss you always.