Friday, December 11, 2009

Holiday Travel Observations

'Tis the season to gather together with loved ones and travel by car, train, boat or airplane to get to your desired destination. If you are going to travel in the next few weeks, there is one thing you can expect.

People. Lots of 'em.

Unfortunately, you are not the only one making the journey. You might be surprised at how many people are shocked to see other human beings doing the exact same thing.

I hopped on a plane yesterday and really wasn't surprised to see the line wrapped around the terminal. This was just to get in the building to be faced with 2 other long switch back lines. I was calm. If I didn't make it in time, I was sure that there would be another plane to catch.

I got a kick out of watching people come out of cars or buses with a glazed look on their face and mouthing the words, "oh my god...holy sh**" A lot of, "I've never seen it this bad" coming from their lips. It's interesting to watch the entire emotional spectrum before my eyes. First it's shock, then a nervous laugh, then silence, then anger. People like to make sure you know they are angry with their body posture, facial expressions, and highly trained stress vocabulary.


I stood there and observed. There really wasn't much I could do about it. I watched the "feed the homeless" money collector count each dollar in his bucket (while hiding the larger bills in the back), families unloading their entire home in suitcases, women dressed in very uncomfortable high heels pretending they feel like sneakers, and felt the collected stress energy in the never ending line.

I made my flight.

In the air, a little girl in front of me was on an airplane for the first time so I watched her look out the window several times to gaze at the view. It took me back to when I would hop on a plane as a child to visit my grandmother. I flew PSA and they pinned travel wings on me that I think I still have somewhere in a box. Maybe.

I hope you are able to travel and enjoy the holiday season somewhat stress free. Keep in mind that there will be several other humans planning to do the same thing.

Beware, they are everywhere.