Monday, May 16, 2011

In The Tub

I've had a vision for a long time of my friend (and artist) Jamie in my bath tub and I was thrilled when she agreed to help me realize my vision of her.  I enjoy taking photographs in places that can be the most intimate and vulnerable place to be such as a bedroom or the bathroom.  Lately, I have been obsessed with the bathroom.

I didn't want bubbles, but a bath that was still, while leaving something to the imagination.  The trick to accomplish this was to fill the tub with a mixture of vitamin D milk and warm water.  Jamie was a sport to do a photo shoot in the tub and was open to just about everything I suggested.

A week later I was able to photograph artist and friend, Traci in her bath.  This time, I took a photo of her reflection from the bathroom mirror while I was standing on the toilet angling the camera down towards the cabinet mirror.  I chose to have it empty with her in her white robe.

After this, my friend Carrie was also open for a shoot.  I wanted it to be a little different this time.  Once I asked her to submerge in her head in the water, I noticed that her makeup easily washed away in the water and smudged on her face.  To make it a more dramatic effect, I had her apply more eye liner and slowly submerge in the water with her mouth closed and then again with it open.

These photographs are the results from these shoots.

A big thank you to my friends for trusting me and being open to play around with this idea.