Thursday, December 15, 2011

Art Show, Snow and Findings in Fort Collins, Colorado

As I mentioned in the last blog, I spent a few days in Fort Collins, Colorado to attend the "Dreams" photography show at the Center of Fine Art Photography.  I was fortunate enough to have one of my images chosen for the exhibit by judge, Aline Smithson.  The center is a beautiful art gallery full of photographs that changes every month or so.  My image, "Dissolve" is currently on display and available for purchase at the center, just in case you were wondering.

I am taking photography classes in Los Angeles and signed up for one taught by Aline.  I submitted to this show without knowing her but once it was time to take her class, I knew that name sounded familiar.  I finally put two and two together and on the first day of class, I showed my work including the image she chose.  I have now taken two classes with her and I have to say that she is one of the best photography teachers around.  I am not the only one who thinks so, either.  She is listed as one of the best workshop instructors featured in PDN (Photo District News) magazine.  Be sure to take a class in Los Angeles or Santa Fe...you will be glad you did. It was nice to be able to hang out with her for a few days during the show and before the show we went out and took some photos of snow. I think it's the first time I've seen snow in a few years.

After the show and art events the following day, I decided to take a drive around the city and the outskirts to get lost and see what I found.  For the most part, people stayed indoors where it's warm and who can blame them?  I found some interesting lawn art, took some self portraits, and visited the locally famous Swetsville Zoo. Bill Swets is an artist and has been building "zoo" creatures since 1985.  All of his creations can be found around his property.  It's open to the public to walk around to view his art and if you're lucky you might get a glimpse of the artist himself, as I did when I got in the car to leave.  It's quite the sight to see if you are in the area...I would recommend it.

The town is also full of great restaurants and shops located in the heart of downtown.  Here are some photographs I took during my weekend in Fort Collins.  Oh, did I mention Bingo?  That had to be the highlight for me.

Bill's Creations: