Saturday, December 31, 2011

Reflecting on things I did in 2011

Instead of making a resolution each year, I like to set goals or just write down what I would like to accomplish in the year to come.  When I turned 39, I set out to accomplish 39 goals during the year and amazingly enough, I completed almost all of them.  I try not to beat myself up too much if I didn't do something I intended to do or not do.  So here we are on the last day of 2011...it's a reflective type of day (oh lookie, even a literal photograph for you) for some and for others, they just want it to be over for the chance at a fresh start.

This year, I intended to set out and write down 40 goals but each time I thought about it, I set out to do something else instead.  The nice thing about blogging important things or thoughts you might have is that you can go back and see what you were thinking at the time or remember what you did.  As I get older, it's nice to be able to look back on the computer instead of having to use my brain to remember what I did.  I can barely  remember what I did yesterday.

Based on cheating and looking back at my blogs, here's a list of 30 things I accomplished in 2011 (from January through today) You can click on the highlighted part to read the entire story if you feel like it...

1. I went bowling with my friends on a rainy day
3. I wrote out my best tips for traveling with your dog
4. I sorted through Family Photographs
5. Met two strangers in person (In Mexico) that I met online a year prior
6. Threw a surprise party for a friend and pulled it off!
7. Watched a street figh
8.  Had photographs published in the March issue of Trailer Life Magazine
9. Ate a date shake
10. Photographs made two spreads and my first cover of Airstream Life Magazine
11. Attended the Modernism Week Vintage Trailer Rally in Palm Springs
12. Did a photo shoot with two roller derby girls
13. Photographs published in a "camping with your dog" (including self portrait of me and Max in Yosemite) article in Dog Fancy
14. Was selected as the artist for the newly built transit mall in the heart of downtown Long Beach. 
15. Selected to be the official photographer of Alumapalooza for the second year in a row.
16. "Dissolve" was selected to participate in the Art Of Photography show in San Diego
17. "Brothers" was selected as a finalist in the Photographer's Forum "Best of 2011" hardcover book
18. Tackled the garage and finally let go of emotional things
19.  Photograph was selected for the Cover for Airstream Life Magazine's Fall 2011 issue (including a spread of 8 portraits inside)
20. Went to my brother's wedding
21. Photographs licensed to publish on Airstream, Inc. website
23. Photographed the people of Downtown Los Angeles
24. My "Bingo Culture" series was featured on Lenscratch website
25. "Dissolve" chosen for the Dreams exhibit at the Center For Fine Art Photography
26. "The Wedding Guest" was chosen for the Portraits Exhibit at the Center for Fine Art Photography
27. My blog was selected to teach American Slang in a textbook in Sweden.
28. I wrote my story of the past three years and it was published on Salon.com
29. I wished Leonard Knight a happy 80th birthday at Salvation Mountain
30. I found out via video that I was selected to participate in Onward Compe

I am so thankful for the things I was able to accomplish in 2011.  I wouldn't have been able to do any of this if it weren't for the people in my life, and the people I came across in my life.  Since there were too many photo shoots to mention, I put some of my favorite photographs I took in 2011 in a video.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did putting it together.  

I look forward to what 2012 will bring!  Happy New Year everyone! xo