Sunday, July 5, 2009

Max

I can't imagine my life without a pet. I've had cats, dogs, guinea pigs, turtles, and fish as pets growing up. As you know from my travels, Maggie and I had the trip of a lifetime last summer. The past few months have been incredibly hard not having her around. She was with me for 10 years. Moved with me 4 times. Visited 26 States together.

Last Sunday, I went to the Farmer's market to pick up some strawberries and came home with a new family member. His name is Max. His time was up at a local shelter and a rescue group saved him on his last day. I took him out of the group cage to spend some time together and he didn't leave my side. I didn't want him to. I was instantly smitten.

I haven't had a small dog in the house for 23 years. My last 2 dogs were both larger so it's an adjustment. For instance, you need to bend lower to the ground to pet them, watch where you step so you don't crush them, buy smaller toys, less food, softer play and it's harder to hide your "does my butt look big in these jeans?" days with a smaller dog in a picture. Now there is nowhere to hide. Your butt looks even bigger. Not that you turn around and squat with pictures with your dog. Never mind. Anyway...

No, I am not going to carry him in a purse.

One of the things we are enjoying is going to the dog park and the dog beach. This was something I could never enjoy with Maggie since she would try to attack anything that wasn't a human. A bit of a buzz kill.

I look forward to this new chapter. I am excited about taking Max on new adventures. I think another trip is in order. Soon.

Here are some pictures from his week of making friends at the park and playing at the beach: