Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Travels with Max

I am about to begin another cross country road trip. The past few weeks I’ve been preparing to leave and this time, I am renting my home. I am lucky enough to be able to have a nice young couple and their chocolate lab stay here while Max and I embark on our adventure.

This time, it’s going to be different.

“Trailie” is staying home, Max and I are going to camp with a tent, I am going to read more, journal more and paint a little. I have a general timeline but I don’t know what path we will take yet. I have two weeks to decide which roads we will embark on, or perhaps we will leave and decide as we go.

Renting out your home is a journey in itself. I’ve lived here for 7 years and when you settle in a place, you usually don’t take the time to see what you have. I am going through and cleaning all cupboards, drawers, closets…everything. It’s a lot of “stuff.” Doing this cleanses the soul in a way. I am not attached to things as I once was. As time consuming and exhausting as it is, it brings a sense of relief to find homes for unwanted items and to purge the things I haven’t looked at or missed in years.

Max is settling in just fine. He is now guarding the house and is used to our little routine we have around here. It’s nice. We are bonding. I introduced him to “trailie” the other day and told him about the adventure Maggie and I had last summer. I broke down and cried. He slept at my feet.

Max and I will document our journey here so you can see what we are up to. I would love to hear of a destination that holds a special place with you.