Friday, March 5, 2010

Award Winning Photographs

Lately, I have been enjoying crossing off things off of my goal list for the year.  One of them is to win a photo contest.  I suppose that the first step is actually entering a contest in order to win it.  I have to admit that I am a bit intimidated when I see so many amazingly beautiful photographs submitted in a contest when I only use a point and click camera and don't use photoshop or lightroom.  The task of entering can seem a little daunting and pointless.

After thinking about it for a while...I wondered what really constitutes an "award winning photograph?"  I think anything that is displayed on your wall or on a shelf at home would be an award winner.  It doesn't have to be the best photograph, just one that brings up memories that you are proud of or that you will cherish forever.

The day you graduated from high school, a family reunion, the day your child was born, the picture of you after you completed a race....all moments in time to be proud of.  All award winners.  Even if you are not in the photograph, it could be the beach you spent your summers on as a child, the city you fell in love in, the house you bought from working half of your life to afford.  All winners.

We are drawn to images that stir up feelings. Whether or not they win prizes, it's really the memory that means the most to us.  I would love to see your personal award winning photographs.  I hope you post it to my facebook fan page for others to see.  Click HERE to post.

For me, I will always have photographs of the places I've been to and the people in my life that I will cherish forever.  Those are my personal award winners.