Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Long Beach Roller Derby

In the midst of getting ready to leave to drive around the country, I thought it was a good idea to get out for some local entertainment, or how the derby describes it is, "girl on girl traction."  Lucky for me, the Long Beach Roller Derby was having their second bout so I had to go watch this exciting event!  I missed the opening night since I thought it would be ok just to show up.  Big mistake.  For the second time, the event sold out.  I learned my lesson and bought the tickets early.

When I arrived, the line to get in was pretty long.  I snapped pictures of the crowd and this little girl caught my attention.  She was so interested in the roller girl, but hiding behind her parents as she watched her skate away.

The moment I walked in the door, I knew I was in for a fun night.  They had vender booths, food stands, and live music to entertain the crowd as we waited patiently for it to begin.

I walked around the rink and searched for a spot to sit down.  Once the announcer made it clear that it was ok to sit on the floor up to the red line, that's exactly where I went.  I sat on the corner of the red line on the floor next to the seats of the players.  I think I grabbed the best seat in the house, outside of the players seats.

I really didn't know what to expect but I have to say it was fun even though, for the most part, I didn't know what was going on.  I caught up with some of the rules as the night progressed and if you can't follow along, it's ok...you'll still have fun.

I enjoyed taking pictures of the women playing and a part of me was nostalgic watching them out there.  I played college basketball and coached women's basketball after college and I miss the comradery of being on a team. It's so nice to see these ladies out there having a great time, and looking especially put together while doing it.

If you've never been to a roller derby bout in person, I would recommend it.  It's fun for the entire family.  I bet afterwards, you will want to dust off your quads and give roller skating another try.

I have too many photographs to show here...for more of my photographs from the night of roller derby action, click HERE.

Thank you for the fun night ladies!  I hope you are not too sore today.