Friday, June 18, 2010

Venice Beach Skate Park

I've visited several skate parks and there is something about them that I love.  If you stop to observe for a while, you'll see the rules of the park.  Usually there aren't posted rules on how to use the park but after watching the skaters, you'll witness the unspoken rules, coordinated chaos, quiet competition, and the common love among the athletes to express themselves.

I think it's great that these kids and adults alike come out to play together.  By the looks of the crowds, there is a common respect and appreciation for the athletes who take a risk to entertain the onlookers.  To the kids out there, it can be practice and fun but when all eyes are on you, it takes a little more to get out to show the skills you have.

When I was a kid, I stood on my brothers skateboard and learned to spin around in place.  I was pretty proud of that event though that is the extent of my skill level.  I was interested in other sports at the time but I think if I were younger today, I would pick up skateboarding.  Yes, I know that adults can do it too but with my limited health insurance, I am not sure I want to risk it.  Instead, I will take pictures of the local pros doing their thing.  These photographs are from my day of watching the skaters at the Venice Beach Skate park.