Sunday, November 1, 2009

Be Better

Sure, most people want to be a better person. I know I do. But how do we do it?

No matter what path you take to achieve your goals, change is hard. This we all know. Also, it can be easy to fall into a trap of the familiar and consistent even if it's not the best for you in the long run. I am not here to preach to you or tell you how to make your life into something you've always wanted.

I am always searching. Learning. Trying to be the best person I can be for me. A few weeks ago, I was given a link to Hugh Macleod's blog called, gapingvoid. As I started to read through his list of tips for anyone wanting to be more creative in art, business or whatever...it hit me.

Some of these tips confirmed what I already believed and some were good reminders. I don't completely agree or disagree with these statements, but they did get me thinking. And thinking...it's good.

So, I decided to share a few that I liked. If you like these tips, he has more. You can read his blog by clicking HERE

- Ignore everybody.
- The idea doesn’t have to be big. It just has to be yours.
- Put the hours in.
- If your biz plan depends on you suddenly being “discovered” by some big shot, your plan will probably fail.
- You are responsible for your own experience.
- Don’t try to stand out from the crowd; avoid crowds altogether.
- If you accept the pain, it can not hurt you.
- Never compare your inside with somebody else’s outside.
- Merit can be bought. Passion can’t.
- Avoid the Water cooler Gang.
- The choice of media is irrelevant.
- Nobody cares. Do it for yourself.
- Worrying about “Commercial vs. Artistic” is a complete waste of time.
- Don’t worry about finding inspiration. It comes eventually.
- You have to find your own schtick.
- Write from the heart.
- The best way to get approval is not to need it.
- The hardest part of being creative is getting used to it.
- Remain frugal
- Allow your work to age with you.
- Savor obscurity while it lasts.
- When your dreams become reality, they are no longer your dreams.