Thursday, November 19, 2009

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary

I made it! I have always wanted to visit the sanctuary and was finally able to do so. Even on the drive up I was excited about seeing all of the animals being taken care of and safe for life. The only part I was nervous about was adopting another dog while I was there.

I arrived the day before and decided to stay in one of their cottages that they rent out for guests. What a cottage it was! It was the only place I've paid to stay in that was not a campsite or a Motel 6...well, besides my South Dakota nightmare. Needless to say, I was impressed! Each room has a dog door that opens to a small private gated area for your pet. Of course, Max wouldn't have anything to do with it. He much rather have a door opened for him.

We woke up early in anticipation of our tour. Max is usually an early riser so I suppose it was ME who was excited to get up early.

Also, I was looking forward to meeting Sarah who works at the sanctuary taking pictures of the animals. Talk about dream job! I found her blog one day and was really impressed with her pictures so I said hello.

We had lunch at the sanctuary on a day where all of the staff members come together to discuss what is going on in their "department." They talked about the bunnie news, what was going on in dogtown, a pig article making USA today and ending with a animal related joke. I felt honored to be a witness to the event with the co founder coordinating the effort.

Along the tour, we visited all of the available cats for adoption and the dogs. Most of the dogs were out running around so I wasn't able to get a good look at any of them. I think this played a huge factor in me coming back without a new family member.

It was well worth the stop! If you are in the area, please take a tour or you can donate to their cause online at www.bestfriends.org